Learning to Unlearn -- SUSHAN DHAKAL (A MUST READ)

The other day I was at a seminar for teachers where we were "educated", so to say, about how different students behave differently and how certain manifestations in their behavior can cause long term problems. It was quite informative and I have to admit I was completely taken aback by some of things I was asked to reflect upon. I trust on my abilities as a teacher and, I believe, my credentials as a teacher, are second to none. However, it took me a while to come to grips with what was being said. They talked about how teachers denounce some habits they don't wish to see in students, simply because they, as students, were also forbidden from doing the exact same things. No side talks, no cracking of fingers, no playing with any stationeries but gulp down every bit of information that the teacher gives you. That's the golden rule, which when followed ardently, gets you the title of "the obedient student". Sigh! Come to think of it, how can teaching be made any more mundane? 

And it was not just about the class room etiquette, we also reflected on the need of updating oneself as a teacher. We are teachers now from the education we got many years back and having taken up this challenge of bridging the vast gulf in perception of the two different generations, we, must also show flexibility in our teaching/learning methods. A wise man once said, If a fish is judged by its ability to climb a tree, it will forever be deemed as incompetent. I made up my mind to seriously consider revising my classroom etiquette before I ask my students to do the same. Maybe it's me who needs more learning, at least for now. I felt I turned a corner, maybe for the better. But what about teachers who have a wealth of experience teaching in the same way for over two decades, will they want to change because of an hour long lecture on student psychology? Probably not, but I do hope many of them can truly accept the fact that teaching is not just a one way street. We, as teachers, must also learn from the students, no one will grade us or judge us and probably that is not the point. The gist lies simply in accepting that teaching will also help the teacher learn just as much as the student learns from him.





 

Comments

  1. Insanely great,hope all teachers can adapt to fluid teaching mechanism like you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment