THE SWORD IN THE SPEAKING HAT

Once upon a time, in a land of wonders, lived an egalitarian king in a splendid castle. It was rumored that he possessed a goblin-made sword and that the sword was magical and indomitable. People believed that no king and his men from any land could defeat the King as long as the sword remained in his possession. Thence, no king from any land dared to attack the King-with-the-sword.

 Now, the King was old and thought it was time to bequeath the sword to a person as worthy as he was. So he called a meeting and announced, “My dear men, I am too old to carry on any further. I am childless and have my whole kingdom to bequeath to a worthy hand but alas, I have something more important to hand over, something of my possession that is rumored to be magical and indeed, I declare today, my men, the sword, so fancifully rumored, does indeed exist and what is more, my men, it is the finest of its kind.”

There was indistinct murmur that silenced as the King spoke again. “I ask you minister, to summon the bravest man in the land or beyond to display their bravery and claim the sword. The ceremony will be held on the very date of the next month.”

Immediately the announcement was made and the news reached the ears of the bravest men far far away. They all labored days and nights to look sturdy and strong. They lifted the heaviest rocks and dragged a hundred horses at once.

And now the day had come when the ceremony of bequest was to be held - the indomitable sword was to be handed over. Many kings, princes and the most reputed soldiers lined themselves in the most majestic seats arranged for them. The castle looked gorgeous as if it were a marriage ceremony. The drinks were being served when the king arrived and sat on the golden throne, seven times as large as him. Everyone stood up in veneration before the king asked them to be seated. He continued, “What a pleasant morning this is. As you obviously know, today I wish to bequeath my most brilliant and undefeatable sword to one of you who shall please me with the bravery you take pride upon.” Everyone nodded and smirked. “The task is immensely simple. You shall stand in front of my majestic sword; speak the words that shall strike very firstly in your head and attempt to drag the sword from a speaking-hat.”

Everyone looked at each other. Pulling the sword was no big deal to those who lifted the heaviest stones and dragged a hundred horses. Everyone wanted to be the first one to attempt, naturally.

“Let the sword be brought.” The king ordered. And as soon as he ordered there was brought a splendidly embellished sword, covered with a rather old hat. The king himself grounded the sword in the middle of the court, inside the speaking hat.

Now, the king called the first brave man to try his bravery. The first brave man approached the sword and tried to pull it from the hat when the hat sang,

“Wait oh prince for I long to hear

Your first thoughts on the sword so fair”

The first brave prince faced the King in the throne and said, “Oh king, the bravest of our age, I see a shimmering sword of immeasurable power that shall earn me greatness and land.”

With those words the prince tried to drag the sword out of the hat, but lo! He could not! I wish I could tell you how hard he tried. He sweated, blood dripped from his palms but all in vain. Finally, he retreated.

Then came another brave man to try his fortune. He too approached the sword and tried to pull it from the hat when the hat sang,

“Wait oh king for I long to hear
Your first thoughts on the sword so fair”

The second brave (king) also faced the King in the throne and said, “Oh king, the bravest of our age, I see a shimmering sword of immeasurable power that shall earn me greatness and land.”

With those words the king tried to drag the sword out of the hat but his immense strength did not earn him the sword. Sad and humiliated, he too retreated.

Now came the third brave (soldier) who too, overwhelmed by the possibilities of a great future, approached the sword and tried to pull it from the hat when the hat sang,

“Wait oh soldier for I long to hear

Your first thoughts on the sword so fair”

The third brave (soldier) faced the King in the throne and said, “Oh king, the bravest of our age, I see a shimmering sword of immeasurable power that shall earn me greatness and land.”

With those words the soldier too tried to drag sword out of the hat but all in vain. He shared the similar fate of the previous candidates.

Then came another, and another after another. No one could move the sword out of the hat.

At last when all the kings, princes and their men endeavored in vain, there came a red haired man. Everyone looked at him; he was neither a king, nor a prince, nor a soldier. They all laughed at him. The man did not pay heed to their silly remarks. He went to the sword, stared for a moment and then to the King and said these words, “My lord, the bravest and the most wise, I see a noble sword, as egalitarian as you, to defend the evil.”

The King smiled. The red haired man approached the sword and easily pulled it out of the hat. The kings stared at each other, the princes sighed and the soldiers cursed their misfortune.


The sword, since then, belonged to the red haired man, Godric Gryffindor.    


Comments